The Neville Public Museum

The Neville Blog

A Night at the Museum 2017

Thursday, December 14, 2017
The Neville Public Museum Foundation held its 3rd annual A Night at the Museum event on the evening of December 12, 2017 at the Neville Public Museum in Green Bay! 

Guests enjoyed great food, a silent auction, entertainment from the John Kelley Duo and Audrey Nowak, and several activity stations including a neon demonstration with Neon artist Jed Schleisner, a viewing of Pyle Paintings from our collection with the Green Bay & De Pere Antiquarians, a personal tour of the Estamos Aquí cabin with Antonio Saldaña, Bruce the Spruce, and more.

The success of the event was attributed to the participation of over 140 guests, the sale of 40 silent auction baskets/experiences, and Lego Lambeau Fan Sales. We had the generous support of many silent auction donors, 18 table and station sponsors and individual ticket buyers. We also benefited from generous discounts and outright donations by our supportive vendors. Many thanks are extended to all involved. 

This year’s event brought in over $20,000 after expenses, which will be used to help fund the Museum’s 
exhibits, exhibit-related programming and other educational activities. Because of generous sponsors like youthe Neville Public Museum Foundation is able to support the mission of the Neville Public Museum and inspire audiences by presenting innovative and thought-provoking exhibits, educational programs and public events on history, science and art. 

On behalf of the Foundation Board of Directors and the planning committee, we extend a special thank you to all of our sponsors, donors, volunteers and guests that helped make the event a great success!

We greatly appreciate your support in helping to create a community legacy of bridging communities and connecting generations!  

Kasha Huntowski
Executive Director, Neville Public Museum Foundation

EQUATE: Green Bay Public Schools Student Art

Monday, December 11, 2017

On November 21, 2017 the Green Bay Area Public School District held EQUATE 2017 Celebrate Music and Art at the KI Convention Center in Downtown Green Bay.  Following the concert the student artwork was transported and installed at the Museum.  This partnership began in early 2016 when the Fine Arts Coordinator Lucinda Roberts reached out to Museum Director Beth Lemke with the hope to expand the student experience into a short term exhibit.

 

 
The Fine Arts Institute at East High School was launched in the 2011-12 school year.  The Institute began with a focus on music and offered students the opportunity to further their studies in piano, guitar, strings, wind and brass instruments, and choral music with an emphasis on classical music. In 2013-14, the Institute expanded to include visual arts and literary arts, and in 2015-16 theater arts was added.





The Neville is pleased to be the host location for the student exhibit.  EQUATE enriches teacher instruction, student work, and guest experience at the museum during the holiday season.  In this fast-paced world we hope families will be able to spend meaningful time together exploring the student art and all the other offerings of the Neville.  EQUATE 2017 will be on display November 22, 2017-January 8, 2018. 

Why Does the Museum Have an Emmy?

Monday, November 20, 2017
The entertainment industry of Hollywood has been around since the early 1900s. We’ve watched all the films, seen all the television shows, and watched in awe as the stars hit the red carpet. It is almost hard to believe that something like this could hit close to home. Dan Smith, a native to the Green Bay area, is one of our hometown Hollywood heroes.



Dan Smith’s Emmy

Dan Smith broke into the Television Industry as a director. In the 1940s he put on a series of shows with his involvement in the “Neighborhood Playhouse Theater”. He held yearly summer plays after rehearsing with the kids all summer. They showcased the final product to the community in front of his garage to close out the summer.

He received his big break as an assistant director on The Ed Sullivan Show during the 1960s, worked on The Merv Griffin Show, The Joey Bishop Show, and directed several commercials, game shows and soap operas. It was not until 1987 however, that Dan Smith received the utmost recognition for his work. He directed a children’s mathematics program for a PBS series entitled Square One Television. It was for this project that he was awarded a Daytime Emmy Award for Best Director. The following year, he was nominated in the same category for the same program. In 2002, Dan Smith gifted his Emmy award to the Neville Public Museum and is now a part of the permanent collection.



Origin of the Emmy

The first ever Emmy Awards were held on January 25th, 1949 with three separate categories, Primetime, Daytime, and L.A. Area Awards. When it came to finding a design for the statue the winners would receive, the Academy turned down forty-seven designs before finding the perfect fit. The design for the statue was created by Television Engineer Louis McManus who used his wife as his model. This design was chosen by the Academy Board Members in 1948. The statue's design is a woman with wings holding an atom, and each portion has a different meaning. The wings are supposed to be representative to the muse of art, while the atom that the figure is holding represents the electron of science. An Emmy weighs about six pounds and twelve ounces and is made of copper, nickel, silver and gold. It was named by Television Engineer and third Academy President Harry Lubke, when he selected the name “Immy” after an Early Image Orthicon Camera; it was later altered slightly to “Emmy”.

Morgan Moe
Intern
UW- Green Bay

Keeping the Holidays Alive

Thursday, November 09, 2017
Each year the museum puts together holiday displays from our collection of figurines that once decorated the windows at H.C. Prange Co. in downtown Green Bay. Dolls of Christmas Past are displayed in vignettes on our stage and Snow Babies play outside our gift shop. This year is no different but you may notice that we changed some things about our displays compared to years past. We decided not to have our dolls move this year.



As with all our exhibits, when they are completed we inventory and do condition reports before returning the artifacts back to storage. After Holiday Memories last year, we did an extensive condition report of the artifacts. In looking closely we discovered evidence of stress. Piles of rust at the feet of some of the figures are a clue that something was happening internally that we cannot see on the outside.


Rust is caused by corrosion, a natural process where metal is gradually destroyed. Running the dolls causes the metal rods to move resulting in the rust falling from the rods inside the figurines. This leaves the piles you see in the picture above. Running the dolls constantly, even for a two month exhibit, causes strain on the internal mechanics. Piles of rust weren’t the only things we found while performing our condition reports. We also found issues with the clothing and brown marks on the surface of some of the figurines. Both of these things can happen over time.

 The brown marks on this doll are not freckles. Dolls like this were made using a hard plastic. This Plastic breaks down over time and can begin to “sweat” leaving brown marks on the surface of the figurine. The marks are caused by an oily liquid oozing out of the doll. The ooze can also leave a tacky slime behind.

The brown marks on this doll are not freckles. Dolls like this were made using a hard plastic. This Plastic breaks down over time and can begin to “sweat” leaving brown marks on the surface of the figurine. The marks are caused by an oily liquid oozing out of the doll. The ooze can also leave a tacky slime behind. This picture shows one of the issues we found with the felt and textiles of our figurines’ clothing. Over time the fabric has deteriorated, ripped, faded, or become stained.

This picture shows one of the issues we found with the felt and textiles of our figurines’ clothing.  Over time the fabric has deteriorated, ripped, faded, or become stained.

This year, we are decreasing the stress put on our dolls to help ensure that we can display them well into the future.

James Peth
Research Technician

Beneath the Courthouse Dome

Tuesday, November 07, 2017
Over a year ago, the few us from the Neville were invited to a behind the scenes tour of the Brown County Courthouse Dome. The county was beginning a $1.6 million project to replace the copper on the dome. We agreed and were offered an amazing look into one of the most iconic buildings in the county. A few things stood out as we walked the catwalk behind the clock face, below the copper dome.



First, hundreds of names are etched into the bricks, some dating back to the 1930s. Although it is technically graffiti, these marking are still a piece of the building’s history. It meant something to them to leave their mark in this historic place. Second was the astonishing engineering of a clock installed in 1911. The large clock face, hands, and mechanics of the special Seth Thomas Clock that still run today were mesmerizing. Another part of the project was to replace the wooden hands. When the wood gets wet they expand and become heavier which throws off the time on the face.





As work progressed we devolved a great relationship with the crew. They would call us when they pulled something they thought we might want for the museum’s collection. We now have in our possession parts of the copper dome, original wood clock hands, and a brick signed in 1937. We didn’t just collect these things to add them to our massive collection but to interpret the courthouse as a symbol and historic place in our upcoming exhibit celebrating the 200th anniversary of Brown County. Our Brown County is a celebration of two centuries of history and the people who have called it home. The courthouse has been a part of that story since 1911.

In 1908, plans and construction began for the new courthouse in downtown Green Bay on the same block as the new Federal Building. Architect, C.E. Bell was chosen. He was well known for designing grand governmental buildings. We even have his original blue prints in our collection! In 1909, the county board approved $8,000 more for the project to fund the murals that still grace the halls of the building.



As construction concluded, plans for a major unveiling of the new building were set into motion. On January 13-14, 1911 an estimated 10,000 people attended the public opening reception. The local newspaper reported that people were overwhelmed by the building’s detail and beauty.

The courthouse has gone through different renovations throughout the years including the addition of an elevator in 1940. Walls were painted over and some of the historic beauty marks of the building were lost. In 1976, the building was added to the National Register of Historic Places to protect its historical nature and to honor its architectural place in Brown County history.

During the 1980s concerns over space and care of the building grew. In 1988, a $10.6 million project began that included additions to the south and west sides for Clerk of Courts, the Detention Center, and the Law Enforcement Center as well as restoration and renovation on the interior and exterior of the building. The project took more than four years to complete. In January 1993, 82 years after the first public reception, an open house was hosted for the public to view the completed project.

In 2008 and 2009 the lantern that sits on the very top of the dome was replaced. Finally this year the county finished the project replacing the copper on the dome as not just a way to invest in the key symbol of Brown County, but to help launch our 200th Anniversary where we will reflect on how far we’ve come and where we’re headed.

Lisa Kain
Curator

The Face of Morbid Curiosities

Monday, October 09, 2017
Every photograph has a story. This photo has been popular as the face of our upcoming sold out event Morbid Curiosities. You may be surprised to know that this isn’t a stock image we found but an image from our vast photography collection. It features Helen Morrow, the ghost of Captain’s Walk Winery.



A man named Elisha Morrow built a house in Green Bay in 1857 for his wife and six daughters. He was an early organizer of the Republican Party of Wisconsin and one of the delegates who helped get Abraham Lincoln nominated as the Republican candidate for president in 1860.

The second youngest of Morrow’s daughters, Helen, inherited her much beloved home after her father died. Helen was forced to sell the property to the Green Bay Women’s Club in 1920 because she didn’t have the money to keep it. Helen eventually moved to Boston to help raise her nephew after the passing of her sister but returned to Green Bay later in life. She was never able to purchase back her family home. Helen passed away in 1952 at the age of 90.



The house went through four more owners before Brad and Eric Schmiling purchased it and turned it into Captain’s Walk Winery in 2006. Helen is believed to be the ghost who haunts the building today. It is said that she throws books, runs the freight elevator, flickers lights, and turns the sinks on and off. While renovating, they stayed one night in the house, and one night only. That night they heard a little girl bouncing a ball and running around giggling on the second floor…but no one else was there.

So, next time you go wine tasting at Captain’s Walk, make sure you’re nice to Helen… after all – it’s still her home!

Vietnam Flight Suit Wins the Artifact Tournament

Monday, October 02, 2017
Voting is over and the results are in! The flight suit worn by John Evans during the Vietnam War is the winner. Thank you to everyone for participating in the artifact tournament for the upcoming exhibit Our Brown County.



Our Brown County is a celebration of 200 years of history focusing on the stories that make Brown County the place we choose to live, work, and play. Explore these stories through 50 artifacts, 50 photographs, 50 people, and 50 places that demonstrate the complex, diverse, and rich history of Brown County. Our Brown County opens May 29, 2018!



Vietnam Flight Suit, 1965-1973
The man who wore this flight suit flew high above the terrain of Vietnam, Thailand, and the Philippines between 1965 and 1973. John Evans volunteered for the U.S. Air Force and served as a combat aerial photographer. During the war, Evans was frequently shot at, but luckily was never shot down. After leaving the Air Force he became a lawyer and worked for Brown County and Oconto County. In 2016, Evans lost his battle with lung and brain cancer believed to have been caused by exposure to Agent Orange.

Artifact Tournament Championship

Wednesday, September 27, 2017
This is the final round! The winning artifact in this match will be featured in the upcoming exhibit Our Brown County! . Our Brown County is a celebration of 200 years of history focusing on the stories that make Brown County the place we choose to live, work, and play. All voting must be done September 29th on the museum’s Facebook Page.




Vietnam Flight Suit, 1965-1973
The man who wore this flight suit flew high above the terrain of Vietnam, Thailand, and the Philippines between 1965 and 1973. John Evans volunteered for the U.S. Airforce and served as a combat aerial photographer. During the war, Evans was frequently shot at, but luckily was never shot down. After leaving the Air Force he became a lawyer and worked for Brown County and Oconto County. In 2016, Evans lost his battle with lung and brain cancer believed to have been caused by exposure to Agent Orange.

Hotel Northland Switchboard, 1930s-1950s
The Hotel Northland was at the center of a booming downtown Green Bay, hosting celebrities, Green Bay Packers players and staff, and a wealth of other people during its time as a hotel. This piece of communication technology from the mid-twentieth century connected calls from the outside to hotel guests during their stay in Green Bay.

Our Brown County Artifact Tournament Round 2

Monday, September 25, 2017
Vote for your favorite artifact and it could be featured in the upcoming exhibit Our Brown County! Our Brown County is a celebration of 200 years of history focusing on the stories that make Brown County the place we choose to live, work, and play.

Vote for your favorite in the artifact tournament. In the end the head to head competition will have only one winning artifact. Check the bracket for dates. All voting must be done on the museum’s Facebook Page.

September 25



Plan of Settlement,1821
This is one of the earliest maps that shows a detailed portion of Brown County. Notice depictions of both military forts (Fort Howard and Camp Smith) along with 66 named land owners. The French style “long lots” were a reflection of the people who lived here during the height of the Fur Trade. There are several recognizable names on the map that remain in our community today like Grignon, Dousman, Porlier, and Lawe.

Hotel Northland Switchboard, 1930s-1950s
The Hotel Northland was at the center of a booming downtown Green Bay, hosting celebrities, Green Bay Packers players and staff, and a wealth of other people during its time as a hotel. This piece of communication technology from the mid-twentieth century connected calls from the outside to hotel guests during their stay in Green Bay.

September 26



Vietnam Flight Suit, 1965-1973
The man who wore this flight suit flew high above the terrain of Vietnam, Thailand, and the Philippines between 1965 and 1973. John Evans volunteered for the U.S. Airforce and served as a combat aerial photographer. During the war, Evans was frequently shot at, but luckily was never shot down. After leaving the Air Force he became a lawyer and worked for Brown County and Oconto County. In 2016, Evans lost his battle with lung and brain cancer believed to have been caused by exposure to Agent Orange.

Green Bay Woman's Club Sign Post, 1920
This intricate wrought iron sign once marked the home of the Green Bay Woman’s Club. The ladies of the club were committed to community improvement and volunteer service including committees focused on drama, music, and beautification of the city. The organization bought the Morrow home in 1920 on S. Adams Street which you may recognize as Captain’s Walk Winery.

Our Brown County Artifact Tournament

Thursday, September 14, 2017
Vote for your favorite artifact and it could be featured in the upcoming exhibit Our Brown County! Our Brown County is a celebration of 200 years of history focusing on the stories that make Brown County the place we choose to live, work, and play.

For the next two weeks the museum will be asking you to vote for your favorite in the artifact tournament. In the end the head to head competition will have only one winning artifact. Check the bracket for dates. All voting must be done on the museum’s Facebook Page.

September 19th

A Piece of the Frozen Tundra, 1997
1997 proved to be a great year for the Green Bay Packers bringing them their first Super Bowl win in 30 years. On their path to the Super Bowl the team took down the San Francisco 49ers and the Carolina Panthers at home, destroying the field. Instead of tossing the ruined sod the team offered it up for sale to fans who wanted to own a piece of the Frozen Tundra, with the proceeds raising money for local charities. The box and the dried up turf reflect support for a hometown team and its community.

Plan of Settlement,1821
This is one of the earliest maps that shows a detailed portion of Brown County. Notice depictions of both military forts (Fort Howard and Camp Smith) along with 66 named land owners. The French style “long lots” were a reflection of the people who lived here during the height of the Fur Trade. There are several recognizable names on the map that remain in our community today like Grignon, Dousman, Porlier, and Lawe.

September 20th

Necklace
, 1930s
This necklace tells the story of Maude (Colburn) Shepro and her only daughter Eunice. Maude opened her own store on Washington Street in 1928 selling everything from clothing to lingerie to fashion accessories-exclusively for women. This necklace from her store was a gift from Maude to Eunice, who died due to complications from a neurological disorder in 1938 at age 21.

Hotel Northland Switchboard, 1930s-1950s
The Hotel Northland was at the center of a booming downtown Green Bay, hosting celebrities, Green Bay Packers players and staff, and a wealth of other people during its time as a hotel. This piece of communication technology from the mid-twentieth century connected calls from the outside to hotel guests during their stay in Green Bay.

September 21st
 
Vietnam Flight Suit, 1965-1973
The man who wore this flight suit flew high above the terrain of Vietnam, Thailand, and the Philippines between 1965 and 1973. John Evans volunteered for the U.S. Airforce and served as a combat aerial photographer. During the war, Evans was frequently shot at, but luckily was never shot down. After leaving the Air Force he became a lawyer and worked for Brown County and Oconto County. In 2016, Evans lost his battle with lung and brain cancer believed to have been caused by exposure to Agent Orange.

Indian Agent Medal, 1778
This artifact was made long before we became a county and has a story spanning the course of almost 100 years. During the American Revolutionary War this silver medal was presented to the Menominee Chief Cha-Kau-cho-Ka-ma (the "Old King") for supporting the British. When the American forces arrived in Brown County at Fort Howard the Indian Agent demanded the medals be turned in and replaced with American ones. Chief Cha-kau-cho-Ka-ma refused and wore it until his death in 1821 when it was passed on to his grandson Chief Oshkosh. Chief Oshkosh finally gave this piece of history to the Indian Agent Col. David Jones in 1884.

September 22nd

Green Bay Woman's Club Sign Post
, 1920
This intricate wrought iron sign once marked the home of the Green Bay Woman’s Club. The ladies of the club were committed to community improvement and volunteer service including committees focused on drama, music, and beautification of the city. The organization bought the Morrow home in 1920 on S. Adams Street which you may recognize as Captain’s Walk Winery.

Baum's Tray, 1909
Downtown Green Bay boasted a variety of shops during the early 1900s including John Baum’s Department Store. John Baum opened his first dry goods store in 1888 on the corner of Quincy and Main Streets. Eventually the store evolved into a department store selling everything from hats to shoes to coats. In 1909 Baum spent $5,000 updating his store (more than $120,000 today) which he advertised with souvenir promotional pieces like this tray.


Recent Posts


Tags


Archive