The Neville Public Museum

The Neville Blog

Our Brown County Artifact Tournament

Thursday, September 14, 2017
Vote for your favorite artifact and it could be featured in the upcoming exhibit Our Brown County! Our Brown County is a celebration of 200 years of history focusing on the stories that make Brown County the place we choose to live, work, and play.

For the next two weeks the museum will be asking you to vote for your favorite in the artifact tournament. In the end the head to head competition will have only one winning artifact. Check the bracket for dates. All voting must be done on the museum’s Facebook Page.

September 19th

A Piece of the Frozen Tundra, 1997
1997 proved to be a great year for the Green Bay Packers bringing them their first Super Bowl win in 30 years. On their path to the Super Bowl the team took down the San Francisco 49ers and the Carolina Panthers at home, destroying the field. Instead of tossing the ruined sod the team offered it up for sale to fans who wanted to own a piece of the Frozen Tundra, with the proceeds raising money for local charities. The box and the dried up turf reflect support for a hometown team and its community.

Plan of Settlement,1821
This is one of the earliest maps that shows a detailed portion of Brown County. Notice depictions of both military forts (Fort Howard and Camp Smith) along with 66 named land owners. The French style “long lots” were a reflection of the people who lived here during the height of the Fur Trade. There are several recognizable names on the map that remain in our community today like Grignon, Dousman, Porlier, and Lawe.

September 20th

Necklace
, 1930s
This necklace tells the story of Maude (Colburn) Shepro and her only daughter Eunice. Maude opened her own store on Washington Street in 1928 selling everything from clothing to lingerie to fashion accessories-exclusively for women. This necklace from her store was a gift from Maude to Eunice, who died due to complications from a neurological disorder in 1938 at age 21.

Hotel Northland Switchboard, 1930s-1950s
The Hotel Northland was at the center of a booming downtown Green Bay, hosting celebrities, Green Bay Packers players and staff, and a wealth of other people during its time as a hotel. This piece of communication technology from the mid-twentieth century connected calls from the outside to hotel guests during their stay in Green Bay.

September 21st
 
Vietnam Flight Suit, 1965-1973
The man who wore this flight suit flew high above the terrain of Vietnam, Thailand, and the Philippines between 1965 and 1973. John Evans volunteered for the U.S. Airforce and served as a combat aerial photographer. During the war, Evans was frequently shot at, but luckily was never shot down. After leaving the Air Force he became a lawyer and worked for Brown County and Oconto County. In 2016, Evans lost his battle with lung and brain cancer believed to have been caused by exposure to Agent Orange.

Indian Agent Medal, 1778
This artifact was made long before we became a county and has a story spanning the course of almost 100 years. During the American Revolutionary War this silver medal was presented to the Menominee Chief Cha-Kau-cho-Ka-ma (the "Old King") for supporting the British. When the American forces arrived in Brown County at Fort Howard the Indian Agent demanded the medals be turned in and replaced with American ones. Chief Cha-kau-cho-Ka-ma refused and wore it until his death in 1821 when it was passed on to his grandson Chief Oshkosh. Chief Oshkosh finally gave this piece of history to the Indian Agent Col. David Jones in 1884.

September 22nd

Green Bay Woman's Club Sign Post
, 1920
This intricate wrought iron sign once marked the home of the Green Bay Woman’s Club. The ladies of the club were committed to community improvement and volunteer service including committees focused on drama, music, and beautification of the city. The organization bought the Morrow home in 1920 on S. Adams Street which you may recognize as Captain’s Walk Winery.

Baum's Tray, 1909
Downtown Green Bay boasted a variety of shops during the early 1900s including John Baum’s Department Store. John Baum opened his first dry goods store in 1888 on the corner of Quincy and Main Streets. Eventually the store evolved into a department store selling everything from hats to shoes to coats. In 1909 Baum spent $5,000 updating his store (more than $120,000 today) which he advertised with souvenir promotional pieces like this tray.

Comments
Post has no comments.
Post a Comment




Captcha Image

Trackback Link
http://www.nevillepublicmuseum.org/BlogRetrieve.aspx?BlogID=12497&PostID=989589&A=Trackback
Trackbacks
Post has no trackbacks.

Recent Posts


Tags


Archive